Would you look at that? Would you just look at it?
Just thinking about the smell of fresh cut lemons makes me happy. In trying to come up with some early spring ideas for baking this loaf was a total must. Though, you can make it anytime of year, early spring is the best time. Raspberries and citrus are both in season, and living in California, we have access to these at their total peak!
California farmers, ranchers, farm workers and ranch hands work around the clock, and throughout the year to provide food, fiber and foliage for the world! In fact, California is the 5th largest economy in the world. IN THE WORLD! That is due, in no small part, to the states incredible agriculture industry. California grows more than 400 different commodities, more than a third of the country’s vegetables and two-thirds of the country’s fruits and nuts.
Okay, I’ll try and stop bragging about my favorite state for a second, and get back to the baking…
Let’s get to it, shall we?
Lemon Raspberry Loaf for California Grown
- 1 cup two sticks plus 2 Tbsp. of room temperature salted butter. 3/4 c of EVOO can replace butter in a pinch.
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp. Vanilla bean paste
- Zest of two lemons
- 3 Tbls. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cup All purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 cup of lemon yogurt
- 3 cup fresh raspberries You can sub in frozen berries but do not thaw them.
- 1 cup Icing sugar
- 2 Tbls. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbls. lemon zest
- lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray loaf pans with flour based baking spray and parchment paper if possible.
- In an electric mixed, whip butter until creamy. Slowly add sugar. Scrape down bowl.
- With mixer on low, add eggs one at a time until incorporated. Add vanilla and lemon zest. Scrape down bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With your mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture. Alternate adding lemon yogurt, or sour cream sub, until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Fold in raspberries gently by hand.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans and bake for 35-40 mins, then tent with foil for and bake for a remaining 8-12 min depending on oven and depth of pan. Loaf is done when a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Remove from oven but do not cut or turn out of pan until completely cooled. This loaf is best served several hours after baking.
- In a small bowl combine icing sugar and lemon juice to create a glaze. Pour over loaf just before service. Garnish with fresh raspberries lemon zest and lemon slices.
- Can be stores covered at room temperature for 3 days.
This recipe was developed in partnership with California Grown.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy Kiwi Bread with Lime and Almonds from Hola Jalapeno.