Need something super easy and festive for your fall table? This is it! It took me about 10 min to put together. Cheating with a package of white cake mix makes life so much easier. Nobody will ever know.
Two cups of mashed sweet potatoes makes this sheet cake moist and flavorful. Topped with cream cheese frosting and cranberries and an unexpected pop with shredded coconut.
I baked this cake for about 35 minutes. Baking time all depends on your oven and your sweet potatoes. Canned sweet potatoes hold more moisture and can require a bit longer baking time. If you want to make your own fresh sweet potato puree you can find easy instructions here. Its worth it, but if you want to save time and used canned we won’t tell.
Sweet Potato & Cranberry Sheet Cake
- 1 package white cake mix
- 2 c. mashed sweet potatoes canned or fresh
- 1/2 c. buttermilk from Producers Dairy
- 2 eggs from Producers Dairy
- 2 Tbl. vegetable oil
- 1 t. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 8oz. package cream cheese
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- 1/3 c. sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mash baked sweet potatoes. Add buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla. Fold in one box of white cake mix. Mix for about 2 min.
- Spray a 9 x13 pan with a flour based baking spray. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool pan on a wire rack. Let cool totally before frosting.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and cinnamon. Spread over cooled cake. Garnish with cranberries and toasted coconut.
Make sure that you wait until your cake is cool to frost. It is a great make ahead. I made mine the day before and covered it with cling wrap. Keep it at room temperature if you do make it ahead, refrigeration can dry out a cake.
Frost and sprinkle with festive dried cranberries and shredded coconut. It’s super easy and looks festive.